Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
If your FL die is set too short (a LOT too short ?) then it is possible that there may not be enough of the rebate available for the extractor to grip. The ejector will push the round into the chamber until it seats on the shoulder and if the OAL is too short than the extractor may not be able to grip it.

I assume you are chambering it and fully closing the bolt ?

If factory ammo works, then this suggests a very dangerous condition with the way the FL die is set up. Was it set up this way for a different rifle ? Perhaps another savage that was headspaced with a cartidge and not a "Go" gauge ?

I suggest you invest in the $30 for a go gauge and a piece of tape over the back of it for a "No Go" gauge to verify both rifles. Then adjust your reloading equipment accordingly, or be very careful to NEVER mix the brass between both rifles. You are setting yourself up for premature case head separation otherwise, since it sounds like the new rifle would have far too much headspace to be safe for the current fired brass. A "real" headspace gauge will quickly tell you what is going on.

If you had not done this "test" and the rounds had fired, the rearward stretch of the brass would have engaged the extractor and you would not have known (until the head split on a first or subsequent firing). Depending on the position of your off hand on the rifle, this kind of event can have serious consequences. Usually the magazine is blown out the action at the very least and a lot of hot gas expelled out the 2 holes in the sides of the action. Eye injury is not to be ruled out either.

Be very careful.
I set brass to factory headspace specs, using hornady gauge.

This is brass from another rifle, not a savage. Does the headspace need to be set on a brand new savage rifle from the factory?