Quote Originally Posted by LureM In View Post
squirrelsniper: Thanks for the info. just want to ask...

Why wouldnt you want to fire lap a 5r barrel? Dont mean to question you at all just wondering why not that specific one?
Do you think the aftermarket beddling blocks surpass the one built by savage in the accustock? What are you stock reccomendations? looking for a vertical grip hook style tacticool type stock.

I will be using it quite a bit, is that true and time seperate from there acurizing package? and do you recommend doing this prior to shooting or see what it produces untouched? Thanks

I also want to know if there is any aftermarket 10rd mags that will fit this bottom metal? I sure would rather not spend 250$ on just a piece of metal where it allows me to use 10rd magazines.
The 5R rifling is a bit different than the regular "flat" lands normally used in rifling. 5R has a slight radius on the lands so I worry a lot more about what could happen should the firelapping actually remove some metal from the lands.

Most aftermarket bedding blocks are superior to the AccuStock in my opinion. The only thing to keep in mind if you plan to change is that the rifles with AccuStocks use a kind of small recoil lug. Many people that switch stocks also switch to a different recoil lug at the same time (which of course requires barrel removal/reinstallation). I think HS Precision stocks offers some of the best bedding block stocks for a high yet reasonable price. There are better options but they run about twice what you payed per rifle. The Choate Tactical are quality stocks at a reasonable price, but they are quite heavy compared to many others.

The SSS "time and true" is basically a standard "blueprinting" of the action, making sure all critical surfaces are as they should be and fixing them if they're not. At the same time (and what I feel really makes it worth it) Fred does his magical work on the bolt which makes bolt lift lighter and smoother. And since the barrel has to be removed for all this work, when the barrel is re-installed it is set at minimum headspace. Personally I would shoot the rifle first and see if I even wanted to do anything to it, but one thing to keep in mind, there is usually a long waiting list for SSS gunsmithing services, so if you decide you want the true and time it's not like you can have it done in a day or two.

SSS modifies centerfeed detachable mags to hold 9rds of 308. However they are kind of high since it requires a factory mag (which is already kind of high) and then the SSS mods. If you plan on having a bunch of mags, you might come out cheaper just buying expensive bottom metal and then using more common and cheaper mags. Also, over on Snipershide, I know there are some other people who have done mag work/extensions, but I don't remember specifics, but a search over there might turn up more options.