Thread: Scope Mount for Savage 12 F-Class?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Patch700
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.618 View Post
    OK, I've made a preliminary choice on the base and rings.

Do you fellas think these will work and be an appropriate choice?

(I prefer steel because it's stronger and I don't care about weight. Also, once I mount the scope, I don't plan to remove it, so ease of installation/removal isn't a concern, either.)

Base:
    TPS 1-Piece XP Tactical Picantinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Savage 10 Through 16 Round Rear, Axis Short Action Matte Steel
    Link:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...on-matte-steel

Rings:
    TPS 30mm TSR Picatinny-Style Steel Rings Matte Medium
    Link:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/845...s-matte-medium

It seems like there are so many choices out there, my head is spinning looking at them all.

Also: When you fellas mount your bases, are you using blue Loctite or red Loctite for the base screws? (Somewhere I saw a manufacturer recommend blue Loctite but my gut says to use red.)

Thanks again.

I've never used those bases personally but I have heard that some earlier models came with a recoil lug if you will that won't work with your action (if you look in the picture of the nightforce setup you will see the small lug , they no longer have that lug for the savage target actions) ... Not a big deal if it does as you can simply remove the lug by carefully using a dremel.

If it's the version without then lug then you're good to go , as far as Loctite goes generally speaking if you use red you won't get the screws out without heating.. I prefer just using the blue and ensuring the threads etc are clean.

When you do go to mount your base it'd be a good idea to do a dry run not using any thread locker , here's what I do .

I install the base to the receiver using only the front screws in the receiver , torque them to spec and see if you can slide a piece of paper under the rear portion of the base (That has no screws fastening it down)... If you can indeed slide a piece of paper under the rear I will then proceed to remove the base and prep it for bedding to ensure a proper no torque fit.

Here's a youtube vid (not mine) explaining it in detail. One thing I do not do that this gentleman does is install the rear base screws for the bedding process , I only torque the front ones and plug the holes in the receiver and the base with putty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5KCXchSgY
    Last edited by Patch700; 12-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.