Quote Originally Posted by dxjxrose View Post
i was supposed to get a set for xmas but that fell through... money is very tight right now (new baby, wifes job cut her hrs to 2 days a week and my unemployment is being cut as of dec 29 and there are no jobs out here...) so if im gonna buy a set my self i wanna make sure i get what i need... now i see there are 2 and 3 die sets... what am i looking at and what do i need?... im thinking of doing some neck re-sizing on some .243 brass to make it work in the 22-250. please let me know guys
To start buy the best you can afford, I find that RCBS has the best dies for the money. IMO some of the lee stuff is good, but I would never buy their dies. Most dies set are 2 piece a sizing die, and a seater. Lees three die set comes with a crimp die, and it is worthless. There is no need to crimp the bullets in a bolt action rifle, and if anything it will affect accuracy, and prematurely wear out brass. Most die company's sell a Full length die in there set unless otherwise stated, they may sell a neck size only die. IMO stick to the Full length size die, and forget using a neck sizing die. Last off, you can not neck size 243 brass and make 22/250, the two brasses hare as different as night and day, the taper, shoulder angle length as well as other things are different. Yes with a lot of work you could reform 243 brass to 22/250 but it is not worth the effort, just buy the correct brass. If you have a bunch of 243 brass just sell it.