Thread: Hart LRT bedding question...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hart LRT bedding question...

I hope yours comes equipped with pillars, and I think it will. The action should contact the top of the pillars, which should be flush with the channel that the action mounts into. Contact with the wood will not be perfect unless you do a good bedding job, but perfect contact is not necessarily required to have a rifle that shoots very well. The main benefit of the pillars is to maintain consistent action screw tension, as the pillars are not compressible. Without the pillars, the screw heads would bear down into the wood to achieve tension, and the wood is rather easily compressed, and subject to expansion and contraction due to temperature and humidity changes. This contributes to inconsistency. I would try it first without bedding it and see, you may find it shoots well enough that bedding is unnecessary.

I have no experience with the SSS recoil lug either. I'm using one of Northland's lugs. It's .250 thick, and slightly wider at the base than the stock lug. Dremel work will be required on the muzzle side of the recoil lug recess, also on the left and right bottom corners, and possibly the base of the hole as well. The goal is to only have contact on the action side of the lug, and to have that contact be as uniform as possible.

The trigger guard part #'s are 105417 for black steel or 105928 for stainless steel. These can be ordered directly from Savage. They ship very quickly.

I don't have any pictures of the blind mag installed in the stock, because the action I'm using is a single shot, so there is no mag. I can say that the inletting is very good and you should have no trouble at all installing the blind mag. Just don't forget to reuse the L clip that acts as a spacer over the rear pillar, and holds the mag in place.

Sorry my response is belated. Things have been hectic the last few weeks over here.

I do have a few pics that may help

Last edited by barrel-nut; 12-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.