Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
I think I would also get a No-go gauge as well. Sorry, but the scotch tape thing, to me, is soooo un-precise it's not funny. In addition, the tape will compress, might be a little might be a lot.

Other than that, I agree with Mach 2. Cut variables as much as possible, and eliminate them one by one. One thing for sure about media being in the primer hole. You most likely will NEVER find it on one of your FTF cases, because when you punch out the old primer, you wil also punch out the media interfering with it, if there is any.

Might try borrowing a no-go gauge and checking it. With the tape method, seems like every thread I have read on it says it (the bolt)should not close on TWO pieces, but again, not my preference. To me it's like using a 5/16" wrench on a 10mm bolt. It might work this time on this bolt, but.....
In defense on all of us that use a go-gauge and then a piece of Scotch tape - if you shoot your reloads exclusively you can set the chamber to whatever you want. If you want to fire factory ammo then you have to be picker about meeting an exact spec. Never have had an issue with the tape method in more than 20 barrel swaps. The tape has a known thickness. The process I use is even a little simpler. I screw the barrel down firm against the go gauge. I then make a reference mark on the barrel with a Sharpie. I have a piece of masking tape I put on the action with marks for every 1/64 of a turn. I then back the barrel off 1/32 of a turn which is 0.00156" and tighten the nut. This give me a tight crush bolt closure with a single piece of tape on the go-gauge. I use the tape just to verify everything worked to plan.

If you feel better about it, then us both the go and no-go gauges. From my understanding, the difference between go and no- go gauges vary between 0.003 and 0.005". You want the headspace some where in the middle. I can live with the additional 0.0015" to the go-gauge for my work. Yes it may be a little tighter than some, by again if you reload and size your brass to your chamber the. It doesn't matter.

Tim