Good point about comfort. I added a raised cheek rest I made from piece of pipe I split and then heated to creat a U shape. I put high density foam inside the U and tape it to the stock with about .75 raise. I then cover this entire mess with a neoprene sock. This rest allows me to line up well with my NF 5.5-22x56 optic. Without, it would be miserable for sure. I take the piece off for cleaning, retape when done. It turned out pretty good for redneck engineering I suppose. There is a picture of the rifle on the site somewhere.

As far as barrel burning, could be. I scoped it and can not see any issues so far. Run out is the same. Accuracy is good. I run my loads hot as well. I was getting 2970-3000 consistently but I backed off the charge a little and am at 2940 now. I have 9 reloads on the Lapau brass and so far so good. If a guy shoots a lot the 260 or other chambers you mentioned should be better for barrel life. My next barrel will be 26" and I am hoping for speeds at 3000 consistently. That or I will go 6.5 sherman or SIN. 3200 and 3400 with 140 pills, respectively.

I think either of the chamberings you are looking at will be outstanding and serve you very well. I am curious about your findings regarding the stock though. I have a 204 that shoots lights out, consistenly under .20. Never have even had the stock off to see what is inside. My buddy has a 260 LRP with the HS and it is shooting .375 MOA groups. It seems savage has built a great stock. Just try and play with the torque settings and see what happens, if you are OK with the stock. If not, heck ya, get a Manners or other fancy stock.