Quote Originally Posted by Elkbane View Post
Cliff,
You have to get this right before you proceed. If you are getting crinkled shoulders, you have lube built up inside your die. Those are hydraulic dents caused by lube. Remove the decapping stem and clean inside of die. I heartily recommend Imperial die wax; just swipe a little on the side of the case and a little inside the neck with a qtip, then roll the case on your lube pad to spread it out. You should NEVER have lube on the shoulder of the case. After sizing, wipe off the outside with a shop rag and wipe the inside of the case neck clean with a qtip.

Some dies come with an undersized button that just holds the decapping pin AND a button that expands the neck on exit. If your measurements are correct I'm guessing you don't have the expander button installed. You can tell by measuring the OD of the button - it should be about .306-.307 OD. That will expand your necks when the case exits the die. Your current measurement, if it's correct, is too tight. It will make bullet seating difficult and may even collapse the shoulder or scar the bullet while seating.

You're doing right asking questions - keep at it and you;ll get it right.
ELkbane

EXCELLENT advice. The expander ball on my NECK sizing/de-priming die is .306.5. A tension/neck ID I have found to be ideal. Any more, I run new brass through the ball ONLY to establish a consistent neck tension/ID. It has made all the difference in accuracy. Consistent accuracy that is.

Snipe