As in so many things in life, I'm rollin' along just fine thank you, then all of a sudden ....

So I decided to put a flash hider on my Hog Hunter in .308, rather than a compensator. Really, all I want to do is get rid of the knurled thread protector that came on the gun. Anyway, my crush washer and the Flash hider came from Brownells today. Being an anxious sort, I "test fitted" them, and noted that I had about 2/3 revolution to get the hider indexed (A2 type- solid bottom (toward ground) birdcage type). Rather than take the action out of the stock, I used these plastic / rubberized dealies/ protectors they have at work to vice clamp pipes, carefully (I thought) clamped the barrel, applied a 3/4" wrench to the flats of the flash hider and turned...turned...(Sloooowly I turned...step by step...*sorry*) and SNAP! Off popped the front sight! Sassafrassinsonofabirddog! The protectors I used for the barrel just caught the edge of the front sight mount- the barrel turned a little in the protectors and...you get the idea.

NOW I get to meet the local gunsmith, who is reportedly tops in his profession and a fair guy. I just hope he can get the smallish screw out of the barrel and then twist the flash hider on the rest of the way.

Filed under: STOOPID, DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION, CROW, SILVER...

Brian