Well I purchased mine on July 7th in Billings MT. at the Big Bear store. Got a deal at $299.00 no tax, (serial # J009830). Purchased a 4x16 scope with it at $200.00. No ammo to be found. Contacted Savage and ordered 2 extra mags. at a price of $45.00 for both. I Took it home to Nevada and went to the range after finding ammo at BPS at a good price (compared to the internet prices by the gougers). The weather was in the high 90's and at 100 yards. it was all over the place after a few shots. barrel was quite hot. I mean 5 to 6 in groups. Was very disappointed with the performance. In late Sept. went back to Montana to shoot P/D's and again took it to the range. Now the weather is 30+ degrees and no wind. Well the outcome was a lot different was shooting groups the size of a quarter after sight in at a 100 yards. So I feel a little better, but not yet comfortable with the high temps in the deserts of Nv. and Az. Can anyone respond as to the rumor that Douglas barrels will be producing a varmint barrel for the gun>?????