Quote Originally Posted by Monkeygunz View Post
I recently received a Savage 111 in .30-06 with side mag release. I have been running into a lot of trouble finding any replacement stocks. Is there a way to convert this to ANY other configuration so I can replace the folded paper plate they call a stock? I would be fine with any other configuration that allows for a varmint style stock set up. I love the accuracy of the gun, but the stock really makes me nervous.
If it"s accurate why mess with it. I have read for years about how flimsy the stocks are especially on the older flat backs. I personally have never had a problem with them making contact except one when shooting from a bi pod. I moved the sling swivel to the rear a couple of inches and never had a problem after that. One particular rifle that happens to be my favorite hunter a 116 with a side release detachable mag and is a 30-06. With nothing but a trigger adjustment since new it has fired a 10 shot group of .446 with hand loads. ( Sierra Game King HPBTs, IMR 4350 and CCI br2 primers in neck sized Winchester brass) This thing is stupid accurate and drops a lot of jaws at the range and anything in the crosshairs in the field.
I'll be darned if I'm changing the stock or anything else on that one :)

If you really must you can go with a blind mag setup. It's a pretty easy conversion to do. You may be able to find someone to trade parts with you for your bottom metal' mag and stock as a complete setup, or sell em on the classifieds to help or possibly pay for the parts you want.