As I understand it, making button barrels is a cheaper, quicker way of making barrel, compared to cut rifling. And Cut will last 2 to 3 times longer. I have one cut, and all the rest are button, and they all shoot about the same, under .3 or better for 5 at 100,(if im having a good day). The only difference I have found is, with the cut rifling, my first round with a clean cold barrel is always right in there, always under .5 even under .25 if I'm on that day. But my buttons, when clean and cold may shoot the first round off by 2" and take 3 to 5 to get back on the POA.
I'm using Pac-Nor barrels (Button) and have had vary good luck with all of them, and my one and only Cut is an H-S Precision, and its my best barrel of all. All of the buttons cost about the same. And there are lots of makers out there that make good barrels. A lot of guys will go with what ever some guy used to win a match, and im not sure thats the best way to decide on a new barrel. A lot more than just the barrel goes into winning a match.
M.