Thread: My first rifle build -- A long range precision 260 rem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I used a SS crush washer to time the muzzle brake properly. It's not as 'pretty', but it's functional. I'll probably take the muzzle brake off anyway once the thread cap is delivered. Somehow the thread cap on the barrel order 'got lost' when the barrel was made. McGowen is currently working on the thread cap that was specified when the barrel was ordered. The only reason I got the muzzle brake was because I wanted the barrel to be threaded for when I get a suppressor and I figured I would go ahead and get the muzzle brake just to play with.

BTW, I've had it at the range twice now but I haven't started any real load development. I'm just using a slightly detuned powder load than I had developed with the Savage LRP. I have learned that I have to set back the shoulders on the Lapua fired brass a little farther with this rifle than the LRP. Initially I was getting 2/3 rounds touching and then the 3rd/4th would be an inch or so off. However the last group I shot this afternoon was a 9 shot group under 1" at 100 yards.

The Manners T5 stock is so much easier for me to get comfortable compared to the 'stock' Savage HS stock on the LRP.
    Last edited by Onewolf; 08-29-2013 at 07:42 PM.