Hey all, new here and also to Club Savage. I mentioned this in my introduction but thought I'd dedicate a thread to it alone.

***THIS FIRST POST WILL BE LONG***

Currently, the rifle is sitting bone stock waiting for me to decide on what sort of modifications I'm going to settle on over the next few weeks/months/possibly year as money allows. I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback along the way as I build this rifle.

It's a 260 Remington and I plan to try and make this my hunting/long-range hybrid rifle. I don't know much about the caliber other than what I've read in the past week, but have been surprised by its ballistics and reviews I've read. The jury's currently out on whether or not I stay with this round or switch it out for something else (7mm-08 or 308).

Alright, so the first thing I need to do with this rifle is put some optics on it for hunting season! I don't want to throw just any scope on it because I'd like it to pull double-duty down the road as my long range glass too. The scopes I've been researching include: Millet 4-16x50 TRS-1, SWFA SS 10x42, Falcon Menace 4-14x44, and Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40. Each of these scopes fall within my maximum budget, which is: sub $400. I've read many reviews on each of them and every bit of information I could find online the past few days and currently am leaning towards the Falcon Menace, with the SS coming in a close second. I want something that's in all mils, which disqualifies the other 2 options. I prefer the variable power Menace because I can get the zoom down to 4 while out hunting but still have the ability to get in close when at greater distances if needed. I'm guessing I'll have my decision made up on something within the week to give myself ample time to get things sighted in and comfortable with this new-to-me round before hunting season begins =)

At the same time I purchase the scope I will be needing to purchase a mount and rings to get the new optic set up on the rifle and have it usable. I plan on using the EGW Flat Black Picatinny Scope Mount 0 MOA but am undecided on the rings still. Hopefully I can get a few of y'all to weigh in on that for me.

Something I'm wondering regarding the scope location is whether or not I'll need to purchase a tactical bolt handle in order to clear the scope...? If not, I'd rather not spend money on it at this point but I'm sure would opt for it down the road after other more pressing things have been added to the build.

After optics, which is essential for a working rifle at this point, I plan to purchase a bipod! I've done a little bit of research on this and was surprised to find these aren't as cheap as I'd originally planned on. With that in mind and the fact I am on a fairly meager budget, Ii'm hoping there might be another option that's "decent" compared to a Harris. I'm also interested in something that swivels; if that's even possible to find. I am hoping to score something that fits the bill in the $50 range...?

Next on my list of purchases for this build is a custom stock. I'm not a real big fan of the Savage one that came with the rifle, but will make it work for now until funds allow a newer, more comfortable/better one. I found the Boyds Tacticool and thought the price on it was great, but upon further review read it's cheap for a reason =( I would like to stay as close to $200 as possible on this part of my purchase. Is this realistic? I'm fairly handy and have done plenty of garage gunsmithing on various firearms I've owned in the past/currently own and feel I could learn to do the various things required to create a better stock, if it means saving some cash in the process. Does anyone have any suggestions in this category?

The last big purchase will be a new barrel. I'd like a thicker barrel (varmint or bull) with fluting for the simple reason, I think it looks cool. I have read a lot about different barrels manufacturers but am still not quite sure what to make of all this. I want a barrel between 20-22'' depending on caliber and weight. Without considering the additional cost incurred by fluting, what is a reasonable amount to pay for a high-quality barrel? Are there any brands I should steer clear of? How about companies that go over and above for their customers? Is it possible to find a high-quality heavy barrel under $300 with fluting?

I'm sure there'll be other things I add/change along the way and figure dedicating this thread to my build may help someone else in the same boat down the road =)

Looking forward to all the experience and help y'all are capable of offering as I head down the rabbit hole!