Thanks for the ideas guys I appreciate it. I didn't have the scope bases on the action yet and I would've had to take the front one off anyways to use the action wrench as it would have been in the way. I was thinking about changing the recoil lug until I saw that the barrel was screwed in until it ran out of threads inside the receiver not on the barrel shank like it might have sounded like in my original post.

When I compared the length of the controlled round feed bolt head for the 300 WSM and the push feed 308 bolt head the WSM bolt was clearly 3/32" or so longer which is why I couldn't set the headspace with the 308 bolt head. The shorter bolt head left a huge gap and the only way to use this action for any non WSM caliber would be to, I'm guessing, have a custom bolt head made. I've already installed the barrel on the target action for now because I'm too impatient to wait any longer.

All kinds of problems today with that and 2 Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger installs that just didn't want to work. One on a Stevens and one on the pre-accutrigger WSM action. Main pin installed through trigger all screws backed off. trigger has no travel whatsoever. It appears that there needs to be metal removed from the trigger itself between where the safety slide is where the weight of pull spring/screw goes through.