Thread: New 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter wont group!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Yes! Check that scope! But, when I put my 260Rem together, I wanted to shoot 140grn Berger VLD Hunting boolits, I guess because "they are just sooo sexy":) But I have yet to be able to get the Bergers to group as well as Rem 140grn PSP's? The Berger group "starts" to tighten up at 300yds, the max range I can shoot. I have learned if I want to insure small groups at less than 200yds, I shoot a "flat base" boolit. Often those fancy boat tails take a while to "settle down". Also, it could be that your barrel just doesn't like VLD's? If you try everything suggested, pluss other loads and boolits and it doesn't get any better, I would call savage and see what they say. But, all of my stock Savage barrels are sitting in a corner of the closet anyway, so you may want to just save time and get a really good barrel now:)! Good Luck...Jim

davemuzz
    When you tighten your receiver screws....First: just "snug" your screws up so the receiver can still move, yet not "slop" about. Second: Hold the rifle straight up so the muzzle is pointed at the sky and give it a few light bumps to ensure the recoil lug is seated agains the stock. Third: ALWAYS tighten the front screw first, and tighten the screws to 40-in\lbs. You can go to 60-in\lbs but higher is not recommended.

Some barrels don't like the Berger bullets. I have one 6.5 that love's 'em, and one that hate's 'em. The one that hate's 'em loves the Hornady 129 SST's. Go figure.

Make sure (double check) that your barrel isn't touching the stock after it gets hot. Remember...."no touching" is always a good rule when it comes to rifle barrels and with boys and your daughter.

Dave