Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
The reason your front screw binds is because the screw holes in the stock are off. You have a stock for an action with a 4.40" screw spacing, and the screws on your action are spaced 4.522" for a mis-alignment of 0.122". Easiest solution is to install pillars and use a front pillar with the hole drilled slightly off center to move it forward as needed.
It was surmised that I had an intermediate action, but I do not. Don't have a digital caliper, but using a machinist scale and measuring the holes in my action and the Boyd's stock several times each, they are, again as close as I can get with a metal rule, 5 1/8". I guess the actual measurement is 5.1 something?

The screw wasn't binding- the bolt was. Using a magnifier and my tac light, I could see the front action screw/bolt slightly protruding into the chamber. (Also have corresponding scratches on my lug now too ) Just backing off about 1/4 turn freed the binding.

I think I confused the issue because I've been calling the action screws "bolts". FNG misuse of vernacular! In my previous world a screw had a pointy end ('jus like mah haid!).

Anyway- I do have a "standard" long action spacing.

I need to learn how to either grind this action screw slightly or get another slightly shorter screw. Any tips in doing this are welcome.

Thanks, as always! Brian