Silvercrow1:

You are correct. Most of the PD shots were between 300-500 yards. The longest shot I made was 505 yards confirmed by the guide and the longest shot for any of us was 621 yards. I saw my buddy bust one at ~700 yards but we didn't have a range finder that would read that far due to the extreme heat mirage that particular day.

The guns I took were a combo of old and new.

1. Old Gun Custom built by my dad in the 60-70's

- Mauser 98 action chambered in .22-250
- Barrel and action are glass bedded old school style all the way from the tang to the edge of the fore end.
- Ported bull barrel with 1:12 twist.
- Double Set target triggers.
- Custom carved HEAVY walnut thumbhole stock.
- Scope: 90's era Tasco Custom shop 8x40x56. Great glass out to about 600 yards. After that it is kind of guess work. Best magnification is around 20 - 24x
- Bullets: 55g soft points group at 0.5" at 200 yard. Rifle was point of aim at 350 yards for elevation with compensating windage.

2. New gun customized by me last winter:

- Savage model 12FV with adjustable accuTrigger chambered in .223 Rem
- Factory bull barrel with 1:9 twist.
- Action is glass bedded with barrel free floating in the aftermarket stock.
- Boyds Gunstocks Forest Camo standard thumbhole stock.
- Scope: 90's era Tasco Custom shop 8x40x56. Great glass out to about 600 yards. After that it is kind of guess work. Best magnification is around 20 - 24x
- Bullets: 55g soft points group at 1.0" at 200 yard. 60g sierra hp custom loads grouped better at 0.5" at 200yards.

We shot PD's in two styles. Truck shooting with a window rest and on tables with sand bags.

Since the Mauser barrel was ported I shot that one off the tables and sand bags where the average shots were longer out to 500 yards. Best shooting gun I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.

The savage I used out of the truck and shot off of window rests. The longest shot I made with the save was out to 300 yards off a window rest. The only complaint I had about the savage is that stupid AccuTrigger safety. GREAT adjustable trigger - BAD application for a guy with small hands like me. I will be changing the trigger out with a suitable replacement this year before we go out again.

The other guys in my group were using Pentax scopes. The scope needs to have parallax adjustment. Magnification needs to be out there around 24x. You will want to take a good set of binoculars and a range finder. My binocs are 10x and worked great for spotting. for shooting off tables get one of the long sand bags. The two piece set-ups are good but it was more imortant to have the fore end immobile than the butt of the stock.

Between the two guns I think I shot 400 rounds over 3 days of shooting.

HTH,

Shawn