Thread: Savage Model 11 - Bolt is hard to open , need instructions on where to polish

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bennybone
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedrat1 View Post
    Bennybone.....

the thread is getting off into a lot of side lanes and no one brought this back up so I will......

In your original post you stated you trimmed the front base screw and left the other 3 alone? If that is correct then you didn't trim the correct screw, it's the second from the front that will interfere with the bolt lug if the screw is too long. The front screw, if too long, will sometimes damage the barrel thread. If the screw is interfering (second one) you can usually see a little marring on the OD of the lug, take a look.
    This is exactly what I am needing to know, thanks! I will pull the 2nd screw from the scope base mount and shave a little off that as well.

I would have figured EGW would have engineered the length of the screws they package with the base mount to not interfere but just to rule it out as a possibility I am taking off 2 threads.

UPDATE:

Okay so I pulled the 2nd screw from the base mount and took two threads off of it and reinstalled. I have observed that the bolt can now be manipulated with one finger up to a certain point. Then a palm is required to cam the bolt over.

But an improvement has been achieved by shorting the base mount screw - THANKS!

I will post videos to illustrate tomorrow.

I am still going to polish the bolt to see if further improvement can be achieved at the point of cam over.

BB
    Last edited by Bennybone; 07-24-2013 at 09:24 PM.