Hey All- First off you gotta understand that for all the years I've been involved in handgunning, I never did any serious mods- change a main spring housing, mount drop in sights, wolff sprig package etc. was my limit. So at work last night things are slooow, and I got to thinking about modding my bolt handle. My buddy gave me a pretty cool aluminum knob, tapered and cylindrical with a slight knurl, that was drilled and tapped for a 5/16-24 thread. I read Thomae's thread about grinding an existing bolt knob round, but I never threaded anything. And grind something THAT perfect...yeah, and my grandmaw is Lady Godiva!
The existing bolt / knob is short; the knob is sorta like a Hershey's kiss- flat on the "outside" and also flat where your thumb goes- that flat having a coarse set of grooves, I'd guess 24 LPI. The handle at the beginning of the knob is very small diameter.

So I started by drilling a hole in the knob on the "outside" flat. I'm NO MACHINIST but I remembered really quick about heat treated metals when the drill in the drill press started dancing around Over to the grinder to take off a little metal. My first hint SHOULD have been my inability to get a center punch to mark a divot for the drill!

Starting to sweat, I carefully drilled pilot holes until I got to the proper drill for the tap. Never tapped anything before, but YouTube said anyone can do it and the video showed a guy that looked an inexperienced as me..or so I thought..
Turn, break the chip, turn, etc etc. HEY I can do this stuff. WELL- I went a little too far with the drill and broke through a smidge; about a 1/16th inch hole. OK- I'll use some JB Weld (a good friend to me lately) to fix that flaw. Hopefully it will be OK.

Made a "stud" from a 5/16th - 24 machine bolt. Wonder of wonders- it actually screwed into the hole. AND I didn't screw up the threads on the other side. Even a broken clock is right twice a day! To the grinder and ground the knob away to a pretty darn good rod shape to match where the new knob will attach. Left the stud two threads or so long so I could use the JB to make a good transition, but probably wouldn't have needed it!

So tomorrow sanding and painting flat black. I've been threatening to post pictures and tomorrow I'm GOING to re-access my Photobucket account. I'll have time in the PM.

Folks- all this stuff I learned from this board. I know you people know this- but this is a terrific board-a treasure of information and the members are top notch! I am humbled and pleased to be a member. Lord blessed me with some OT last week, so I'm joining as a paid member and getting those Burris Sig. Rings I need for the scope mount on this gun.

THANKS...Sorry so long but I'm excited. Brian