A Savage select match barrel from NSS is <$350 complete. It makes no financial sense to buy a blank and pay someone to chamber and crown it for a Savage, and if it fails to perform neither the blank maker not the Smith is going to accept responsibility for it. Given that Shilen makes complete prefits barrels, you have a warranty when buying one of them that is effective. It would be the same way when buying a prefit from McGowan or CBI. As soon as a 3rd party cuts on it, forget about any warranty, same if you use the fire lapping system.

My Shilen barrels have been the best performing barrels I have owned. Given that Lilja and others do not make prefit barrels, I have not had cause to deal with them and I have gotten rid of my last Remington rifle so will never need anything but prefits in the future. If you need a barrel in a less popular twist rate, caliber or chambering, going with a prefit will not save any time compared to the custom route, but it is less expensive overall and you are buying 1 vendors final product. That alone is worth a lot since you know that their reputation is based on delivering that product to the highest standard.