I can speak on the part of Shilen barrels, as I have owned a few. I have a McGowan coming, and we will see how it compares. I can speak for McGowan's employees, they are top notch and customer service is their top priority. I have heard many satisfied customers rave about how good their McGowan barrels are. For the most part all premium barrel makers are going to be on par with each other. I have owned, Douglas, Brux, Krieger, Bartline, Hart, Shilen, and Criterion. Out of them all there isn't a nickels worth of difference in them, they all shoot great. The upper crust barrels offered like Douglas's double air gauge, or Shilen's select match, as far as them being worth more money, that only you can decide by the buyer, in my experience I have never seen where it made any difference. With that all said barrels have their own personality, and no two are the same, even if they have been made one right after, and chambered with the same machinery. There is going to be barrels that are Hummers, (A barrel that shoots better than any other.) and some that are bummers, (Barrels that don't shoots as good as others.) and that is from any manufacture, and there is no guarantee that you will get one or the other. Most barrels are in the middle ground, they shoot great, and perform as well as others. I would say it is safe to say that more than 3/4's of the barrels sold will not be put to the test of there highest ability, meaning most shooters lack the ability to push the barrel to its edge of accuracy potential. I will say that many competitive Benchrest shooters have, will , and continue to shoot Shilen barrels.

To finish this up, I would stay away from Chrome moly barrels, as the savings will be ate up with finishing the barrel. Bluing, or coatings can put the price of the barrel up to the same price as a stainless barrel. I hope this help you make your decision.