Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
You first have to define what barrel life is. The first place you hear these discussions in in competition circles. Benchrest shooters may be done of they can no longer hold a 1/4" group. Many "regular" shooters are thrilled if they get a rifle / ammo that shoots under an inch. There are plenty more for whom 1.5-2" is perfectly OK.

If you are expecting your barrel to hold better than MOA, it sounds like a barrel life of at least 3500 rounds is possible, provided it is not being shot rapid fire style. The better the accuracy you expect and the faster you want to shoot it, the lower than number will be.
Barrel life would be until I am not able to shoot much any more, I would be shooting this after I shoot my 22lr for the day. 1/4” groups sounds good but if it shoots under 1” at a 100yds I would still be happy after 2500 or 3500 or so rounds.

Rapid fire to me is 10 rounds in ½ hour.

3500 rounds is a lot of shooting in todays world even if your are reloading, and I would be reloading.

I go to the range once a week most weeks. I stay 4-5 hours at a time and will burn 100 rounds of 22lr, the 223 would be at the end of my shooting day. I would say no more tham 10 rounds a range trip. There are months during the year I might not make it to the range (4).

chuck