82boy convincinly showed you can make a competitive rifle cheaper with a custom action than with a savage....

yep, I know he is right. But I'm putting together (myself?) a 6PPC savage and you can't beat it for the experience. Learned how to headspace, already had learned how to bed (Devcon); made 220 Russian into 6PPC; tried two different methods (pistol powder versus expander/6mm bullet) -- learned more and more.

I'm having both horizontal and vertical errors, think it is my bag/technique/stock -- new stock almost here....

The charge/elevation data I got off the new Shilen barrel showed about a THIRD the sensitivity to charge that my 12FV varmint barrel had -- short thick barrel indeed better than long long somewhat thick barrel, and proof on my targets pasted in the notebook.

I think the main advantage of the Savage is the ability to LEARN about what goes into an accurate rifle. I can have each part of the equation done and watch the effects. Sure, I may end up getting something completely different, but I'm plotting a course that friends can follow far more cheaply than I have, and get a "club -level" accurate rifle for fairly cheap.

Loads of fun. Much more than buying perfection at a price.

gordon