Quote Originally Posted by bgc
I have been trying to break-in the barrel on my 10FCP for the past year..... I have managed to break the bank getting the copper out of the barell....roughest barrel i have had from Savage...
I agree that the Savage barrels are not as easy to clean as custom hand lapped, they tend to copper foul a little quicker. When I say break I'm also referring to having the barrel settle down and start shooting consistent.

I started using the Wipeout products, as you can see by my last test targets I went 50 rounds before a quick cleaning (maybe could have shot more). A few applications of MPro7 (carbon) then Wipeout Accelerator and the Wipeout Patchout or Foam and it comes clean. How clean do you need, not sure, I try and clean so no copper comes out on patches, some just run Hoppes No.9 (aka Dan Newberry- OCW website) to take off the high spots of copper. These new cleaning products really do make rifle maintenance easier. I don't really mind a little more work for a factory barrel as long as they shoot like most of the Savage barrels do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
Well, I personally can't make this statement! My FCP shoots better than I do! I am happy if I hold an 1 1/2" groups at 200yds, but I don't shoot much at 200yds. I do shoot a lot at 600yds! I can hold a 16" group on a good day with most of my shots within 8". If you are familiar with a F class target, I put 65 out of 66 shots inside of the 9 ring with 8 shots in the bulleye! This is not great in competition, but I would have dropped any deer around with this group!
Fair enough Dennis, so something around 1 1/2 to 2 inches is not bad shooting for a factory gun at 200 yrds. Just looking for some ideas and realistic expectations.

Gary