Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
It would not be the most practical weapon, but it would be great for close range plinking, cheap to shoot, and would be fun suppressed. . . It should also be fairly effective as a close range hunting weapon.
So buy a 22LR - by your own words that's what would suit your needs the best as there's nothing more practical, more fun, cheaper to shoot or as effectively suppressed. And if you question the killing power of the 22LR as a short-range hunting rifle, I know of more than a few nuisance deer that have fallen victim to a farmer with a well placed 22lr round to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
And I am sure you have diagnosed what is wrong with me, I must have been dropped on my head! It's not my fault then so bear with me. . .
My "dropped on their head" comment wasn't meant as an insult or directed specifically towards you, but rather a general observation regarding an ever increasing number of threads started on this site posing questions pertaining to modifications or builds that lack any kind of applicable forethought in terms of feasibility and functionality.

While the Savage action design is very adaptive, it does have it's limitations - one of which is extraction/ejection with short cases. This is due in part to three key design elements...

1. The placement of both the ejector and extractor
2. The lug raceway location
3. The fact that most brass is undersized and all bold heads are over-sized

Combine these three things and it equates to non-functional extraction with extremely short cases (most pistol cases) and/or relatively short bottle neck cases (i.e. the 221 Fireball). The problem is that the extractor only holds one side of the case rim, and the ejector is pushing against the other side of the case head. As a result, the length of the case and the inside diameter of the action is all that limits the angle to which the ejector can push the case to and prevents the case from slipping out from under the lip of the extractor. Throw in the additional slop of the over-sized bolt dead diameters and the undersized brass and the angle at which the brass disengages from the extractor and falls loose becomes even less.

It's no secret that the .221 Fireball won't extract/eject properly in a 110 action for this very reason. While the overall length of the Fireball case is sufficient, the diameter is small enough - especially at the neck - that it fits within the raceway cut inside the action and thus allows the ejector to push the case to such an angle that the extractor will no longer hold it and it will fall loose into the action. As a result you have to pick the brass out by hand. This is the same issue you will have with the extremely short 40S&W or 10mm pistol brass - but in it's case it will simply be a factor of the overall length of the case being too short rather than it being too small in diameter and fitting into the raceway cut.

In truth you would be better off starting with a Savage Model 25 or Mossberg MVP than a Savage 110 action as the dimensions of both are smaller than that of the Savage 110. Smaller diameter action, shorter overall length, etc. that would much better suite you're extremely short pistol cartridge. Even with the smaller inside action diameter I still doubt the extractor design of either would hold that short of a case in place to eject properly to prevent the case from falling free from the extractor.

If you feel compelled to follow through with this project and you're willing to invest the money and time into it then by all means have at it, but that still doesn't change the fact that there are mechanical limitations to the Savage design that will prevent it from becoming a functional and reliable reality. Longer pistol cartridges such as the .500 S&W or .480 Ruger might be long enough to work with the 110 design, but due to their being rimmed cases they pose their own problematic issues with the 110 design as it was never intended to be used with rimmed cases.

So again - you'd be much better off saving your time and money just buying a readily available carbine than trying to cobble together something using a Savage that likely won't work out anyway. Think/work smarter, not harder.