Quote Originally Posted by chestsprings View Post
mel12, yobuck,

just the info. i needed.........now I know the ring heights to buy.

thank you both very much.

the base decision was an iffy....could go one way or another...........

I think I'll serious think of the base you two recommended.

one other question...........recently I've been leaning to a cross hair, or the target dot, with the 1/8 inch clicks..........

did you consider a target dot since the dot is pretty small ?

again thanks for the info.
again, reticle choice is a personal thing. how you intend using it is a major factor in deciding.
i personaly prefer a dot over a cross hair. but thats me and i do own scopes with each.
today the amount of choices are almost mind boggeling. valid arguments can be made for
any of them. lately i have found i prefer some type of milldot syesem. to the point that i find myself
sending old scopes back to leupold for reticle changes to the varmit hunter reticle.
dialing scopes for elevation changes has been taking place for many years. it is the single thing
responsible for successful long range hunting above all others.
that said it can at times be a pita in addittion to being a problem causer at least for some.
for example if you ever take your br on a prairie dog hunt where you might get 100 or more shots
on the same day at various distances you will quickly find out.
do you want to shoot dogs or play around with your scope?
by the time you get it dialed in guess what? he's gone, so now back to zero look for another and start over.
on a near miss you can hold on the mark where the bullet hit and shoot again right now without touching the dial.
that can be very important as seconds can sometimes be critical.
as for 1/8 or 1/4 min clicks, for hunting i prefer 1/4" for target 1/8" would have an advantage.
bottom line is it dont matter much. learn to dial in minits not clicks. 8 minits is 8 minits regardless.