Quote Originally Posted by crossg4
Quickaddict
Did yours shoot right away or did you notice an improvement after sending quite a few downrange. I'm really impressed with the rifle, I was in a sportshop today and I asked to look at an HS Precision rifle (tactical looking and a 3999.99 pricetag) I said to the salesman the old savage will probably shoot just as good at 1/4 the price. Nice rifle by the way but I was thinking a guy could put a real nice custom together for about 1/2 that or better yet just buy another barrel for the Savage.
I imagine this question has been asked 1000 times but do you think a nice target crown might help make my rifle shoot a little more consistent (ie. not as many unexplained flyers) or should just leave as is.
I take it by your post that you really enjoy your 10FPC also, once you found your Scenar load did it shoot consistent for you? Some rifle pics and groups would be nice.Take care, Gary.
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I will post a couple group pics up and a shot of the rifle tomorrow. The gun has always been a standard MOA or so shooter with most anything I can handload for it. I have only run various flavors of the Match bullets through it. It really seemed to figure itself out after about 200 rounds, the copper fouling actually comes clean in it now to.

Overall im really liking mine, I kinda wish it was 243, but thats just what I use it for. As for Groups, I still get unexplained flyers now and then, but the 155 Sencar load is the most consistent I have found, and I think some of it is me, but even with the flyers its under MOA. At 400 yds ( my longest target) the rifle isnt even fun to shoot, I just dial it up and blaze away until im tired of center punching the dinger, easily MOA out there. I will try some different primers when I get the chance, but all I have been able to find are the CCI's, the BR2's did nothing for my load, maybe the Federal primers will help out with the flyers. This is my first Centerfire i have really tried to work out good accuracy out of, so my shooting is still suspect, hopefully adding a brake will help out with that.

I have about 700 rounds down the tube of mine, mostly load testing at 100 yds. I have pretty much settled on the Sencar load for target shooting. And I will develop a TTSX 150grn load for Deer. I have a 110 Vmax over 10x that is pretty nasty on little critters as well.

The real reason I made the rifle the way I have is so I can change the caliber if I want to, if I get tired of the 308, I will likley buy a match barrel in 243 or 6mm BR, if I like the 308, I will probably just get another match 308 barrel.