Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hard to chamber a round.

tacticalpanda

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I was typing away when you posted those picks, it looks like the head space is to tight, but try what I asked you anyway, and let us know your findings.

Dean
    Just tried. was only able to seat the bullet maybe 1/100 of an inch. Still the same. Works if I really drive the bullet in there. But now my hand hurts from slaming the bolt in and from hitting the scope almost every time.

JCalhoun
    I'm thinking it's a headspace issue also.

On a side note. A couple years ago I had ordered a pre-fit barrel that was not reamed deep enough. Had to sent it back but it's fine now.

Some barrel makers don't finish ream the chambers unless you specify it. There is also the chance they're using a damaged or dull reamer.

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    I'm thinking it's a headspace issue also.

On a side note. A couple years ago I had ordered a pre-fit barrel that was not reamed deep enough. Had to sent it back but it's fine now.

Some barrel makers don't finish ream the chambers unless you specify it. There is also the chance they're using a damaged or dull reamer.
    It was a criterion prefit order from Jim at Northland. I posted yesterday about it. So it might need to be reamed again? Is there anyway to tell?

Just a heads up, never slam a load round into a chamber, what can happen is called,"slam fire" which is self explanatory.

Dean

PS when you bring the rifle back to get the head space redone, bring some of they ammo you are going to be using, even if it's the cheap stuff to make sure it cycles smoothly.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

If It's a CBI I would be surprised, if it's the machining, it's the headspace that's my story and I stickin to it.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

tacticalpanda
    If it is the headspacing I hope my gunsmith admits to it. I paid more than I should have to get it headspaced but I needed it today to zero it and by Tuesday so I had to pay up.

Is there any chance the rim of the shell case is not going under the extractor? that would explain the gouge marks on the rim of the brass.just a thought

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by dlaboone View Post
    Is there any chance the rim of the shell case is not going under the extractor? that would explain the gouge marks on the rim of the brass.just a thought
    could be. anyway to tell?

maybe take your bolt out and put a shell in the bolt face.see if its going flat up against the face of the bolt.you will probably have to put it in at an angle and slide it under extractor (the little claw)

you could take the extractor out and try it too.might have to push your shell out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod without it in there.there are videos online to show you how to remove extractor

Basic Member
    I would do as the guy above says. But instead of pulling the extractor, pull the ejector. That way you can put a round in the bolt and try and chamber it! If it works as normal then, its the extractor not working properly...

If you bring it back to the gunsmith you can have him measure the headspace of the barrel. I would be surprised if its that because by design there is quite a.bit of room for error with headspace when chambering the barrels. I still make sure mine are within .003 of factory spec

palerider338
    Just a thought.....if your ejector pin is sticking ( or stuck) it might account for the marks on the case neck . Round is being pushed too far forward in the chamber. Might also explain the chewed marks on the case rim too.

Basic Member
    Bullets are jammed into the lands don't shoot it. You really need to get someone to measure the over all length and see if its the ammo or the gun

The rim marks are from trying to pry the bullet from the rifling which is why you see it pulled out.
    Last edited by limige; 03-11-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    The rim marks are from trying to pry the bullet from the rifling which is why you see it pulled out.
    From my experience if you attempt to chamber a round and try to force the bolt closer forcing the bullet in the rifling then open the bolt the bolt will stick in the lands before it tears the rim of the cartridge. While the affect can be changed on how much the case is crimped around the bullet, and I see the round is cramped around the cannelure so this could be the case.

Basic Member
    Yeah I hear you. Hard to say. Bullet is definitely in the rifling I zoomed in and clearly see hard marks on the bullet. I figured the rim was from dislodging it. They get stuck hard real easy with the cam action of the bolt.

Might have issues with the ejector mechanism as well. One thing at a time
    Last edited by limige; 03-11-2013 at 09:04 PM.

tacticalpanda
    I posted this on another board. Pretty much everyone thinks it the ammo. CBC I guess is know to be out of spec as it is cheap Brazilian surplus. I am going on a quest to find .308 ammo tomorrow or at least snap caps to see if they chamber. If they do fine then I know its the ammo.

I am picking up a set of calipers tomorrow so can get measurements.
    Last edited by tacticalpanda; 03-11-2013 at 10:35 PM.

bodywerks
    Yes, the ammo.

JCalhoun
    Panda,

A set of Go/No-Go headspace gauges might be cheaper and easier to get a hold of at the moment than ammo. The will allow you to correctly test the headspace.

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Panda,

A set of Go/No-Go headspace gauges might be cheaper and easier to get a hold of at the moment than ammo. The will allow you to correctly test the headspace.
    I have a set that I am borrowing in the next few days to do it on my own. Will bring it back to the same guy and see what he says first.

Berniep
    Giys i dont have a lot of experience with savage but i had a rem that would pull the bullets if you seated too far into the lands. With not much force.
    Looks to me like in the picture it is jamming just at or behind the shoulder. Either out of spec ammo or a worn reamer. Def into the lands but look just at the shoulder case junction. It shouldnt be that tight there even if headspace was too short.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    I have a 10 BA that eats Black Hills, Hornday, Federal etc. no problem and chambers very smoothly. I bought some cheap Russian Prvi just for shooting steel at shorter distances and it does the same thing.

tacticalpanda
    So I got a hold of some Gauges today to check head spacing. What do you know it is head spacing. Head spaced the rifle myself and it is running smoothly now. I paid $100 to have a smith head space it and he didn't do his job right.

Gentlemen may I refer you to post number 30, for your viewing pleasure.
    I will be here all week, and don't forget to tip your waitress.

Dean

Berniep
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Gentlemen may I refer you to post number 30, for your viewing pleasure.
    I will be here all week, and don't forget to tip your waitress.

Dean
    Dangit!!!!
    I Missed it

Kill N Grill
    Could have been one of a multiple problems. Good to know there is a place to get another view point when you are stuck.
    Last edited by Kill N Grill; 03-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast