Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor powder/primer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emailabode View Post

Anyone have any experience loading these and what powder primers seem to work best

I was thinking about using BR2 primers

thanks Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
    Varget might work, but its slightly to fast to be used with the heavies to get the best velocity. H4350 is probably the best option (its temp insensitive and works very well), with maybe Hybrid 100V, and 760 in there as well judging from the Hodgdon data sheet.
    OOOfff!!
    First lets deal with you Pat.

Primers don't mean a soggy-sack-of-shyte. Just develop your loads. The difference that primers CAN make is an ES/SD difference depending upon ignition characteristics. BR2's cut my ES in half in my 308, but open things up considerably in 3 other cartridges.
    Either powder(since you have extra) will work alright. ADI's extruded powders have a nasty habit of contributing to Hard Carbon fouling, 760 does not. 760(same thing as H414) also has the same "copper killing" Tin compounds that CFE is getting praised for; has had for over 20 years. As you should know, 760 is OLD tech ball powder(originally designed for the 30-06 "back-when"). So it can get cranky when the temp goes up, if you are running stiff pressures already. Don't let ammo cook in a hot chamber before firing, and you are fine.

That1guy.
    Not sure why you think Varget is to fast for heavys? www.hodgdon.com has load data that says it actually works quite well with the heavy stuff.

While I agree that 4350 is a nice choice for the Creed, Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders "insensitivity to temp change" is NOT a universal property. It is a feature of being designed for a specific cartridge case. Dr. Denton Bramwell has shown a possible correlation to same parent cases, but also shows that the "property" does NOT cross into other cases as a matter of course; and 4350 was designed around the 30-06. Remember that Varget is also an extreme powder.

All of this is arguing semantics anyhow. There is no statistically valid difference between "Extreme" Vs. non powder in most instances. The trouble with Hodgy's claims is that they give all but NO specifics about the test parameters. What we can see is very irrelevant. Take the 22-250 as an example, the extreme powder "won" by 6 fps.....
    Last edited by darkker; 01-15-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.