Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
Classic ball powder and using a standard primer. Switch to a mag primer or switch your powder. If you would have pulled that round apart, the powder would have came out in large clumps. Then someone would have said that the powder was contaminated. What happens is the primer barley ignites the powder. It ends up burning the graphite off of the powder and not the whole powder itself. This turns the powder to a greenish color and clumps. This can also lead to a detonation. The powder detonates instead of burning. Then you may be wearing the gun on your face.
The CCI-250's are the large rifle magnum primer. I use them and the 450's (small rifle mag) with ball powders, per CCI's recommendations. I use the non mag 200's and 400's with non-ball powders. Since I'm breaking in the barrel, I elected to try and use up some of the H380, since I haven't gotten it to shoot well in any of my other Savages.
I'd pretty much settled on CCI primers, for no particular reason. They are easy to get and I don't relish the idea of starting over with all my good loads by changing components. On the other hand, I notice, between the three brands - CCI, Remington, Federal - there are a few CCI's left, now, in the local stores whereas the Remingtons and Federals are all cleaned out. It seems many reloaders prefer the two other brands of primers over CCI. I've really never given it much thought, but, am now wondering if there's a reason......