Thread: Scope Recommendation-Axis .223

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Since you're firing 223 I assume you're not looking for a long range tactikool scope. Your CP might do OK--but I had one that blew up internally after a few 308 recoils--I won't even glance at them on the store shelf now.

My tastes and selections in scopes are evolving and I have a box loaded with useless combo package scopes and cheap low-enders--but I still like to find deals at lower prices.

If I'm doing variable magnification, my baseline is a minimum 14/16x capability for budget range scopes--9 x 12 just don't hack it for me even at 100 yds EXCEPT if it's by a manufacturer with really good glass--like Leupold. Usually you can get side focus to adjust for parallax to help with the lesser imagine quality on low to mid range scopes if you look hard--I wouldn't buy a 14x or better variable scope without it if at all possible.

Something else to consider: lately I've realized that I tend to use maximum magnification at all ranges possible--and the logic behind fixed magnification scopes started making more sense to me. Fixed mag scopes generally reduce the "fiddle diddle factor" and generally are less expensive than a variable magnification--so I consider them a viable way to "bootleg" your way into really good glass lenses and reticles on the cheap--case in point are Leupold and SWFA scopes. I have a 12x fixed SWFA SS scope on the way--the .1 mil mil reticle looks totally awesome for a $299 scope.
    Last edited by thermaler; 12-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.