Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
When the factory set up is assembled into the stock , the aluminum trig bracket ,the one the rear stock screw goes thru, is sandwiched between the stock and receiver. The problem is two fold, first your trig is probably too light, you wont know until the receiver assembly is bedded properly.
Try this . Remove the receiver from the stock , add a spacer or many washers to the rear rec stock screw.tighten down until the aluminum trig bracket is compressed ,as it should be in the stock, then try bolt,safty ,trigger, see if it malfunctions again. Let me know what happens.

Gary
Thanks for the suggestion.

Believe it or not--I figured the problem out (or at least came up with a solution that worked).

My biggest confusion came from the fact that both my 308 and 270 upper receiver groups had the same dynamics when separated from the stock--the trigger housing pivoted to the same degree with the same relative pressure.

I finally decided to pull the recoil lug on my 270 and reseat it. Not only did this completely eliminate the "trigger pivot" I was getting--I was able to lighten the pull and sear back to an easy, smooth break like I originally had. If I had to guess--I suppose the lug somehow started working it's way out from repeated heavy recoils (the 270 is a big banger). I guess I should have thought of this sooner--but I will now make that a regular part of my weapon check/clean before and after use. Short of a catastrophic misfire--nothing scares me more than an accidental fire, though from the safety point of view I believe you should always assume that's a possibility every time a round is chambered.