Quote Originally Posted by sims5
Actually got the paint at Wal-Mart but I would think Lowes would have it also. Another guy said to wait like 4 days after painting to really let it cure before clearing it. I did it all the same day, we'll see how it holds up.
There are two big things to getting a quality finish. First is to let the painted stock cure for it to be durable. Second is to make sure the cans are at the proper temperature and thoroughly shaken.

I have done numerous stocks that normally have 5+ coats of different colors/textures and never had any problems as long as I let it cure well. All stocks I Krylon get a few days cure time, normally in a warm area. During the summer I hang it in the sun to help it along, sometimes they get so hot you can barely touch it. During the winter months I will put it in a room and shut the door to help keep the warmth in.

My wife's 9mm AR was Krylon'd three years ago and it has held up very well. The only areas that have wore through are on the bottom of the pistol grip, around the take down pins from taking it apart and where the charging handle rubs. This rifle gets used ALOT. I let it cure for a few days before doing anything with it and then I was gentle for another few weeks but since then it has been used and abused. The barrel has been so hot you can't touch it and still no problems, even on the flash hider. The flash hider is stained from carbon but still painted. There are some reports of tan turning pink with extreme heat but I personally haven't seen it.

Here is her 9mm right after it was done and really it looks about the same today as the day it was done, complete with skulls.

Dolomite