Savage Axis .270

I am having an odd issue with the bolt. The rifle is over a year old but was only at the range once to be shot in. The reason it wasn't shot more was due to the heavy trigger, which has since been remedied (snip 1 1/4 turns off the trigger tension spring) During the processes of shortening that spring we noticed that the bolt would not close all the way, it stops about 8 degrees shy of home. This also prevents a round from going into battery and although you can pull the trigger and get the firing pin to move forward it doesn't move far enough forward to strike the primer, thankfully.

Checked the chamber for obstructions found none.
Checked the bolt and bolt face for any signs of rubbing found none.
Checked the bolt handles timing no issues there.
Checked the bolt release no issues there.

The only thing that I've noticed that seems off to me is the rear bolt spring (can't remember it's technical name) looks like a coil has slipped off the firing pin shaft. It's really hard to tell what's going on with that spring, if anything. So my next step is to remove the bolt assembly screw. However that thing is really tight, is that normal? How much force is too much force to get the bas to loosen? and is there anything else I should be checking that I haven't?