Quote Originally Posted by hammie View Post
I've been following this thread closely, because I, too, just acquired a model 10 hog hunter, with the idea of making it into a, sort of, poor man's scout rifle. The factory stock is terrible and I have been looking for a replacement. The apparent problem with the boyd's stocks (with the exception of the thumbhole varminter series) is that they are made to match the contour of a standard factory barrel. According to Boyd's, it you enlarge the barrel channel to accommodate the heavier barrel, then you are sanding it to nearly the edge of the forearm and it looks bad. I guess I could go with the varminter series, but I don't really want a thumbhole stock. I wish boyd's made a regular style stock with a wider fore end and barrel channel for the hog hunter and other law enforcement series savage rifles.
Here's a picture of a Prairie Hunter with a magnum barrel contour, showing free float back to the barrel nut. No sanding was done.

Here's a closeup of the rails with that fit. It looks to me like there's considerable sanding room, but that's your call. I posted the barrel measurements in the OTHER "I want a Boyd's stock for my Hog Hunter but I'm not sure the barrel will fit" thread.

KeS