Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Every barrel is a rule unto itself. Even though it's a relatively fast twist, you might find that it likes light or middle weight bullets...and .32" is nothing to complain about considering that you're not talking about a benchrest rifle or a true custom barrel.
So am I to conclude...

[1] Twist rate really doesn't matter. You just need to get a barrel and try it until you find a barrel that shoots what you'd like.

[2] Since I can shoot better groups with my factory Savage barrel, and since Criterion are not custom barrels - then Criterion barrels are kinda a crap shoot on performance (over Savage barrels).

[3] Savage PTAs (actions) are pretty much crap and should never be used for a benchrest rifle..

This is for an F/TR rifle in .223 using a Savage PTA (timed and trued by Fred) in a HS Precision stock and a Sightron SIII 8-32x 56mm 1/8 MOA scope. I guess this was a bad choice?

I was hoping that there were more folks here using these Criterion barrels and would have some insight on what has worked well in theirs (given how common .223 is). My Criterion in .308 is as good as it gets (IMNSHO). I guess I thought Criterions were all excellent barrels....