Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
Why couldnt you have a local machine shop turn an extractor groove on the 45-70 head and then you could chamber it in your savage and no darned belt.Or you could build a 35 sambar which is a 35 wsm and have more power than a man needs and it overshadows the 458 all the way around and wsm brass is easy to find.
I really wanted to build a 45-70, but Fred's probably one of the top Savage gunsmiths in the Country and he told me he couldnt do it, that pretty much ended my 45-70 build ideas. The 35 Sambar is a wildcat round, it uses 300 WSM brass necked up to 35 caliber, most people now a days call it 358 WSM. It has some possibilities, what load data is out there for it shows a 250gr bullet at about 2700fps and a muzzle energy around 4000, with a bullet limit of 250grs in that 35cal, I dont really see it overshadowing a .458. That and a lack of factory ammo, you would probably have to have custom dies made and have a custom barrel made and making all your own brass, would be a down side to that round for me anyway.