Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
A ha! I misinterpreted your question. Thanks for the clarification and for not flaming me.

Ok. I own and have used both stocks about which you are inquiring. I can not say for sure if they are the same plastic.

What follows is personal opinion based on my experience. Your experience may be different.

It appears to me that the Savage/Stevens stocks have somewhat less flex than the Axis stock. Whether or not the actual plastic is different or this is a result of the design and construction, I don't know. In my experience, the unmodified Axis stock flexes more in the forearm and wrist than the Savage/Stevens stocks.

If you want a rifle for walking around/hunting, as long as you have cleared out the barrel channel sufficiently (if it is needed) I would suggest that the Savage/Stevens stocks are good enough (perhaps not the ideal stock, but you also won't get upset if the stock gets rubbed on a rocky outcropping and gets scratched).

Many people have reported on this forum and elsewhere that they have had hunting and paper success with unmodified Axis stocks, I, however chose to reinforce the forearm and the wrist/grip area. I can tell the difference when I shoulder the rifle.

I hope this helps.
I was very impressed with the 11 I looked at--the whole receiver/action, trigger etc looked fantastic. But when I did my "float test"--gripping the forearm and barrel and applying pressure--the stock flexed very easily and contacted the barrel--just as easily as the Axis stock does. It seems everyone is making a budget rifle with a synthetic stock these days--but I still haven't seen one from another manufacturer that flexes quite as much as Savage's. The trouble is, once I toss in the price of a replacement stock you're getting into quality Howa/Weatherby territory--totally stock.