Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth View Post
I won't even comment on the lager (than 69gr SMK) pills in the 1:9 Savage barrel....

Something to consider... the Savage barrels I've had in .223 are throated pretty long. If I want to seat a 69gr SMK in my latest 1:9 LRPV, I have to go to a 2.340" COAL (1.943 OAL) to put the bullet at the lands. I've never had a 1:7 Savage .223 barrel (I think these are only avail. in LS - correct?), but I would be a bit curious to know if the 1:7 had any longer throat (since it would be targeted more toward the longer/heavier bullets). If it did, I think you'd possibly be giving up some seating depth and may need to avoid seating the 69gr SMK to the lands (and I have found that this typically works the best when using the 69gr SMK in the Savage 1:9).

Just a thought...

BTW... the bullets I have tried (and looked at) which are 75gr and higher ALL recommended 1:8 to 1:7 twists. I would ALWAYS go with their recommendation as they know considerably more than anyone else what it will take to get the best performance from their bullets.
This is good info, thanks. The rifle will be either the #12VLP/DBM (available in either 1/7 or 1/9) or the F/TR. I primarily want to shoot the 75/77 grain stuff (I think), but of course I want to keep my options open. Once I order this rifle, it's mine. So I'm just trying to look at all the variables, ie: bullet brand/type/weight/BC...powder brand/velocities/pressures. I've already worked up 216 loads on the computer, using 9 bullets and 8 powders.

My head hurts.