Quote Originally Posted by Jeg181420 View Post
Hi folks, I have few quick questions. I am in process of building a Savage .223 range gun off of a Stevens 200 action. I have been looking for a varmint barrel for quite some time now and recently found a good deal on a brand new Savage 12FV takeoff barrel, which is 26" long and of course is a varmint contour (I believe ~.805" muzzle diameter).. However, I am looking for something more in the range of 22-24". My question is this, if I bought this barrel and sent it to a competent gunsmith (I'm thinking adcofirearms.com) to have them cut it down, re-crown, and possibly even thread, would I lose any accuracy? I know the velocity may drop a bit, but I'm not worried about that. The other thing is, how would it effect the taper/ muzzle diameter? Can anyone give me an approximate idea of what the muzzle diameter would be after I cut it down from 26" to say 22"? I still want some taper, I don't want it looking like a bull barrel.

Thanks
Take the barrel diameter @ the nut and at the muzzle. Subtract the muzzle dia. from the diameter at the nut and divide by the barrel length. This should give the taper per inch of existing barrel. Ex. 1"@ nut end .805 muzzle, so 1-.805= .195, then divide by 26(length)=.0075"/in. Then 22 x .0075=.165. Then 1-.165=.835@ muzzle @ 22" if Im thinking straight tonight.