Quote Originally Posted by Sv650s42701 View Post
I believe it is a center feed its a older action the mag stays in the stock and it doesn't hav a release for under the box it stays in the stock. Thanks
I think you are confused on what I meant by "stays in the stock". In you a quote above, you sound like you are describing blind magazines (which no matter what style will stay in the gun when the gun is assembled) and detachable magazines (which can be removed from the gun, like on an AR15 for an easy example).

You will have to remove the barreld action from the stock to find out which style you have. If the mag stays in the stock when you remove the action from the stock, then you have the newer centerfeed. If your magazine stays attached to the action when you remove the action from the stock then you have a staggerfeed. I would bet that you will have difficulty getting a 308 to feed from a 30-06 mag if it is staggerfeed. The Centerfeed style mag should feed it just great.

If you have a Centerfeed and trouble feeding, then a slight tweaking fo the feeding lips on the mag should cure the issue. On a Staggerfeed mag, you may also tweak the feed lips to help, but due to the design it will be more difficult to get right. I don't have a ton of experience with short calibers in a long SF mag so hopefully someone more experinced will chime in.