Of course there are ways to cheat...
Fred,

Maybe not what you were getting at... but something that kind of popped into my head today as I was borrowing parts (scope rail) from one gun to stick on another (stealing from Peter to pay Paul...) and looked down and saw the knurled thread protector that came on my Sav 10PC-SR barrel (currently wearing a PWS FSC-30 brake). I thought "Hmmm... that looks about the right size... lets see what that looks like mocked up."

I was thinking if making a whole new BAS might be too much of a PITA due to the problem of getting a decently made and sized allen wrench hole broach-cut in the middle... what about just turning down the 'flange' on an existing BAS, threading it, and making a collar that would be screwed on and either permanently expoxied in place, or alternately have a small discrete set screw locking it in place.

Looks like it'd need to be a bit shorter than the piece I have sitting on there now to not obscure the safety, and maybe it could be just a fuzz larger diameter and still clear the tang of the receiver.

The project I have in mind would call for the bolt parts (body, front and rear baffle, BAS), receiver, recoil lug, barrel nut and barrel to be black nitrided / melonited, as thats the 'look' I want to go for. But I think a stainless knurled BAS collar to replace the existing 'flange' look might be appealing to some... Pretty much just an aesthetic 'change', not necessarily an 'improvement', depending on one's point of view.

What do you guys think? I'm not in a position to do or even source the work in any quantity on my end, just curious what y'all feel about it.