Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
To start you wil get more velosity from a fast twist over a slow twist rate barrel. (Think about it, the faster twist alows the bullet to build more pressure behind it.)
I guess I didn't think about the faster twist keeping the bullet in longer and building more pressure. My thinking was taking me to "Slower twist = less resistance = outta the hole faster".

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
Personaly I would say that a 243AI is SUPER WAY overbore for a 58 gn bullet.
I suppose it is, but it sure is fun and my current 243AI barrel is very very flat and accurate. Easily hits 4000fps with the 58's. I have been thinking about going to a heavier bullet (maybe a 75gr V-Max), but the 58's are cheap and shoot well so I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
with a 1-8 I would think you would have problems getting those 58's to stay together
I was wondering about that too. My 1-9.25" I have now launches them at 4000fps and have yet to have one come apart but for all i know it could be a hundred RPMs from going "pop" in flight.

Kelly, It sounds like you got a tad faster by going with a slower twist, but then again each barrel is unique. I am considering all the factors, I just was going back and forth on "Twist vs. Velocity" and figured I would see what y'all were thinking. I was just thinking that if I am going to order another custom barrel and by going with a different twist I could get a significant gain in Velocity to flatten it out even more, then why not?
Thanks for posting your findings and I will agree the 1-9.25" is a nice twist, I was just hammering ideas in my head

Looks like if the 1-8" won't jump up the RPM's to awful bad, then it may be the way to go.