I received my Boyds Varmint Thumbhole today- I had them send me the action bolts too. I am replacing the stock wood stock which is easily worth about $5. From what I had read I understood you only needed bolts if taking your action from a plastic stock, and the original screws do fit fine, and to be honest, they seem better than what I received from Boyds-I like the idea of allen button heads but the heads of the factory screws are prolly twice as thick. Boyds were actually a little shorter than the factory screws.
I'm glad I ordered a Boyds- I would not have been happy paying double for this from Stockys. It has a slick satin finish and it is well done, nice inletting (way better than the factory stock). The pad is a nice rubber with spacer that fits well and a far cry from the hard molded plastic factory pad. It's not the same as a Decellerator on the Stockys-so that's a consideration to ponder for a heavy hitter.
I would have expected a "Varmint" stock to be channeled for a varmint barrel but it isn't. Got some work to do to fit my new CBI HV in there.
Overall, I'd buy another at this point. It's not in the same class as my Fajen and McMillan stocks, but I say good stock for the price.