I probably wouldn't put an "expensive" scope on an Axis/Edge. Of course, everyone has a different definition of what "expensive" means. I wouldn't put a $400 Leupold on one of these guns, unless I already had a spare on hand. On the other hand, there are a lot of mid-range cost scopes these days that are really decent quality, probably as good or better than what an expensive scope would have been not many years ago. There are some good Nikon, Bushnell, Redfield, Weaver, and even some of the lower end Leupold scopes for $125-$200 that are a huge step up in quality compared to the scope that comes with the combo deal. Look at some of the sales at places like Natchez Shooters Supply or Midway, or look at the factory refurbished scopes. I recently picked up a new Nikon ProStaff BDC 4x12 at an unadvertised sale price of $149 at Gander Mountain. A cheap scope is a poor way to save money, IMO. A few more bucks on a decent scope hurts temporarily at the time of purchase, but it is a gift that keeps on giving back every time out after that, for the rest of the time you own the gun.