Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk
Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
Long range will favor the longer bullets. The 1:7 twist is just there to facilitate the longer bullets.
Someone else I know with a 12 F/TR .223 Rem had worked up a load with 77gn bullets, being unaware of the marked difference in down-range performance between the bullets intended for mag-length use and those designed for single-load, seated-long, dedicated target use. He did get some incredibly tiny groups @ 100 & 200yd, and since the event we were going to was out to a max of 600 meters, he figured he was GTG.

By the time the match was over (four days), he'd had his eyes opened. The shorter mag-length bullets may be very accurate... but they give up too much in the wind if you shoot much past 300yds/meters. I was running a Berger 82BT stuffed 10 thou into the lands... which shot well enough for 1st F/TR (by the skin of my teeth; #2 was also running a .223 Rem, shooting S80MKs).
Thanks for this. We are experimenting with single-shot rounds .020 & .030 off the lands to see how much bullet jump affects some Varget loads. I will be most interested to see his results with these.