I have a 67-H 12 ga pump and a model 170 pump 30-30 (actually a Revelation model 260 which is the Savage model 170 series B). when the gun is fired, there is a lug on the left side of the hammer which catches a hooked spring on the slide lock and pulls the release down & unlocks it.

the guns are really easy to dis-assemble. remove the buttplate, remove the stock, loosen the trigger assembly screw, tap out the trigger assembly pin (only goes 1 way), take out the trigger assembly screw, pull out the trigger assembly being careful to hold the slide lock onto the assembly until you see how it fits so that you will know how to re-assemble. slide the forearm towards the rear & use a screwdriver to gently pry the pump arm from the bolt. the bolt will the slide out the rear.

My 170 in 30-30 was having a terrible feed problem. I took it apart and polished everything with #0000 steel wool and lightly oiled everthing. be sure to remove the cartridge stop on the inside of the receiver and clean really good behind it. (there is a small nut on the screw holding the stop to the receiver - don't lose it). Just this cleaning made my rifle operate like new with no feed problems. I think my biggest problem was the rust & gunk behind the cartridge stop.

this article talks in detail about the slide lock operation and the dis-assemble and re-assembly. once you dis-assemble the gun a couple of times, it will only take about 5 minutes to completely take the gun apart and put it back together including removal of the fore arm & magazine.

http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...1702516-1.html