I guess I'm one of those that does lube metal parts in my guns. I've switched products in last few years. I now use two of the Lubriplate products. One is a high vis. oil and the other a grease. I oil rotating parts and grease the parts that slide together or where I don't want migration (it stays). I absolutely do not use products such as WD-40 or Rem-Oil for lubrication. I do use WD for cleaning though. I lube my pistols, rifles, carbines and shotguns. Products such as Lubriplate work on somewhat molecular level. Filling in gaps and pores in the steel.
So since this is a Savage forum I'll address the rifle. I usually grease my trigger contact parts, then wipe off. I oil my internal bolt parts,then wipe off. I grease the outside of bolt and lugs and the receiver lug grooves. Now I'm not running this rifle wet as I would an AR but everything is lubed then wiped so there isn't globs of grease. Even after wiping off the grease there is a very thin film that is left on the metal. I have a hard time believing that every application of metal on metal in the world uses some type of lubricant except a bolt action rifle.