I probably came across a little harsher than I meant to... its just one of those things that I see every day or two on a few forums (not this one) and I'd reached saturation...

At any rate... I'd say check the seating depth, etc. on your own barrel but in general, Varget, IMR 4064, RE-15, I/H4895 are the good ole standby powders. IMR 8208 XBR is a newer one that burns similarly to 4895 but with a smaller kernel size (i.e. meters better) if you don't want to *have* to weigh charges. Federal brass is thick/heavy, Lapua is heavy but less thick and fairly hard/tough, and Winchester is light and pretty hard/tough (but disturbingly undersized in a number of dimensions as well as somewhat mangled out of the bag).

My 'seems to shoot in everything' load is 43.5-43.8gn RE-15 behind a S175MK seated to 2.820" (Remington mag length) in a Winchester case, Rem 9.5 primers. Other 'known-good' loads include 155gn bullets (pick one), lots of Varget (start @ 45.5gn and work your way up), Winchester or Lapua brass, Remington 9.5 or F210M primers. S190MK or B185LRBT over Varget, 4064 or RE-15 (start @ 40gn and work your way up. Berger VLDs = try jamming 10 thou into the lands, or 30-40 thou off. Others... experiment a bit, but 15-30 thou off the lands works good. For either (secant or tangent ogive) jumping a *lot* (40-120 thou) just might surprise you at how well it works if they won't shoot seated up close the lands.

For more 'known good' loads (just not specific to Criterion barrels), check out the .308 load section @ accurateshooter.com

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/308win/

Savage rifles have longer magazines by a considerable bit; whether your chamber or the magazine will be the limiting factor would be interesting to find out.